Project Type: Educational Experiments (description)
Primary Focus: other (description)
Secondary Focus: otherArea: Rural
Supporting Chapter Contact:
Asha Chennai has been working with Government Schools at several places in Tamilnadu through projects such as Project Sangamam,Project Pearl, Project Dream, Poorna Vidhya etc. We identify schools that have low teacher-student ratio and provide teachers to these schools. This helps us maintain close connection with the schools and their teachers. We also provide learning and teaching materials. Government allocates very little money towards basic materials like chart paper or chalk piece. We provide these materials. We have also provided computers to the schools, setup libraries there etc. We help the school maintain the infrastructure so that it can be used effectively. Government often provides budget for buildings but little of maintaining them. Some additional money can help in making these effective.
With our close connection with these schools Asha Chennai is in a unique position to understand and help address some of the quality issues facing Government schooling in India.
Technology and Education Initiative
In 2014 Asha Chennai has started an effort to directly improve the processes happening in the classrooms at the government schools. There are several facets to this effort.
- Training the teacher on better teaching techniques as well as guiding them on how to use it within the structure of their existing classroom process.
- Empowering the teacher to use computers and Internet effectively to better their own skills and effectively use these in a classroom.
- Providing teaching guide or instructions on how to teach a lesson right in the classroom at the point of delivering the lesson.
- Provide all the materials that would be needed for teaching the lesson as well as instruction on how to use it (once again in the classroom as the point of delivering the lesson).
- Provide additional materials for engaging the class like games, worksheets etc.
- Conduct a rigorous assessment to measure the achievements of the children as well as help us measure the success of our own efforts.
The following diagram shows the impact we wish to have using this project on different aspects of the learning.
All the classroom inputs will be provided using a software being developed by Asha Chennai which will bring up all relevant materials for specific lessons in the textbook.
Jun 2018 Project Proposal Sangamam Kanini 2018-19
Apr 2018 Report on Asha Impressions - 2018
Feb 2018 Photos from the written assessments - 2018
Dec 2017 Oral Assessments - Results Analysis
Nov 2017 Photos from Oral Assessments - 2017
Aug 2017 Oral Assessments - Report 2017
Jul 2017 Site visit report by Venkataraman
Apr 2017 Project Proposal Sangamam Kanini 2017-18
Jan 2017 Photos from Glovis computer distribution
Dec 2016 Project Sangamam Kanini Report 2016
Dec 2016 Photo album of Sangamam Kanini in action
Dec 2016 Photos form Glovis - computer donation
Dec 2016 Photos from teacher training for third term
Nov 2016 Photo ablum of oral Assessments
Oct 2016 Site visit report 2016
Apr 2016 Project Sangamam Kanini Case Studies 2016
Apr 2016 Photo album of Sangamam Kanini in action 2016
Apr 2016 Project Sangamam Kanini Proposal_2016-17
Mar 2016 Project Sangamam Kanini Report 2015
Mar 2016 Assessments at Sangamam - 2016
Dec 2015 Project Sangamam Kanini Case Studies 2015
Dec 2015 Project Sangamam Kanini Report 2015
Nov 2015 Project Sangamam Kanini Proposal_Year 2016-17
Nov 2015 Outcome metrics for sangamam Kanini
Sep 2015 Photo album of Sangamam Kanini in action
Sep 2015 Project Sangamam Kanini Report 2015
Jun 2015 Quarterly Report_Q1_2015-16
Apr 2015 Project Sangamam Kanini Proposal_Year 2014-2015